It is that time of year. You know the one. A time for sentimental pondering and enthusiastic resolution making. Mingling with family, while simultaneously trying to avoid an emotional breakdown. Binge drinking and eating. Yes, that one.
Well, this year, we at Paper Epiphanies thought to accompany your well-deserved, third glass of wine this evening with some light reading material. Basically, a brain-dump of our own nostalgic thoughts and small reminders of why we started this company in the first place. Happy New Year’s Eve friends!
Paper Epiphanies Favorites of 2018 for your viewing pleasure! In no particular order…
1. CHELSEA LEIFKEN - our collab with Chelsea was too much fun! Resulting in a hilarious, badass collection that will be our shelves for years to come. This collaboration inspired us to continue with our goals of supporting, empowering AND WORKING with women that we love!
2. BLUSH PINK - we are pretty picky about our limited color palette around here, but we added a soft, elegant new envelope as a complement to our other favorites. We couldn’t love it more!
3. LAS VEGAS MARKET - this year was our first time showing at the Las Vegas Market. We had a blast and added many new stores from different states to our retail family.
4. NEW EMPLOYEES – we added new members to our team this year, including LIZ our fabulous packaging and fulfillment coordinator.
5. FORBES, ABC, FOX - we were basically famous this year. Check out just a few of the fabulous news and media features from 2018! We are so grateful to the community and journalists who made these features possible!
6. 4TH TRIMESTER - In May, we launched what has quickly become one of our most popular collections. The 4th Trimester: Cards for Moms! These honest and authentic cards were a wonderful reflection of our Founder’s journey as a first time mother!
7. SPRAY PAINT - we’re basically taggers after successfully spraying a mural on our own wall behind our printing press.
8. MARY TYLER MOORE - Speaking of presses. Our beloved Heidelberg Windmill affectionally named MTM, for obvious reasons, celebrate her one-year anniversary with us. Although, she’s technically almost 60 in press years.
9. SPEAKER VIBES - Our Founder and CEO, Victoria Venturi had the honor of giving a 45-minute keynote address at the 2018 Greeting Card Association Convention in Cleveland this September! She also spoke at the Rose City Summit in Portland, Oregon with fabulous women such as Tarana Burke of the #metoo movement.
10. INTERNS - for the first time, we officially started working with some fabulous (young AF) Reed college students to help bring a youthful, Gen Y spirit to the mix. For example, many college students these days have never seen WAYNE’S WORLD or SAVED BY THE BELL. What the actual fuck? That being said, they have taught us a few things. Our current intern, Naomi has been awesome at keeping our blog FRESH!
11. WATER COOLER - our team wanted to add this one to the list. We finally stopped buying bulk water bottles and got a real-life office water cooler. Now we can lessen our environmental footprint AND gossip tritely around said cooler.
12. NYC - we went rogue and hosted a buyer’s event at the YOtel with many of our other favorite brands. The event was a resounding success and has helped us think outside the box about future events.
13. NEW REPS - we continued to grow our wholesale sales rep family by adding a new Pacific Northwest Group - The Gellert Collection!
14. TAPE TAPE BABY - we finally got new packaging supplies. They are sexy. That is all.
15. GIRL UP SUMMIT- we had the honor to attend the Investor Collective at the Girl Up Summit in Washington D.C. this past July. The amazing event inspired us immensely and reminded us to work even harder to donate more time, money and resources to those who need it most.
16. POP UPS! - we hosted quite a few awesome pop up shops this year. From partnering with awesome retailers like Ecru Modern Stationer to partying at The Bar Method. We hosted events with The Junior League of Portland and had open studio days. The best part - SEEING YOU! We have lots of exciting stuff coming on the retail side in 2019 so stay tuned!
17. THE UNKNOWN - over the course of 2018, we had many exciting meetings, planning sessions and big ideas. Some of those meetings went nowhere, others went to amazing places. Some people we are still waiting hear back from and others have already decided to help us grow. The point is - you have to take risks. Calculated risks. You have to own your brand and put yourself out there. If you don’t, you will always wonder ‘what if’.
18. LOVE NOTES - Throughout the year, we often receive messages or hear stories about how our cards impacted others. Made them laugh, got them through a hard time or a breakup. This year was especially moving, as many of the notes received came from new mothers. We received a truly unbelievable amount of emails and DMs, heard stories told to our retail partners and more. Below we shared just one, but we thank you. Today and always. Thank you for inviting us into your homes, your relationships and your lives with our cards. You inspire us to keep writing.
Signing off for 2018.